Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Etsy Tuesday: Beepart

I've not had an artist feature for some time, so I'm delighted that I have an interview with Etsy artist Neil Jeffery, who owns http://www.beepart.etsy.com/.

Who are you and where do you live?

My name is Neil Jeffery and I'm an artist and illustrator living in London, Canada (which is quite a bit smaller than the original London). I work out of my home studio.

Is illustration your full time job?

Yes, illustration is my full time job, I've been working freelance for about 10 years now and illustrating exclusively for about the past 6 years. I don't have any specific training in illustration, I originally went to school for Graphic Design but then switched to Fine Arts which at the time I felt allowed for more freedom to explore as well as a lot more time spent drawing and painting which was really what I enjoyed doing.


Describe your work

My illustration work is colourful and very graphic in nature, I use vector programs almost exclusively and keep colours fairly flat, keeping shading to a minimum and using patterns to help create dimension. Most of the illustration work I've done is for advertising, but I've also done some publishing and editorial work as well.Concerning my drawing and artwork in general, I have never just stuck with one style or medium. I think it's important to explore different ways of doing things. A lot of art is done by creating a system of working- if you don't ever change that system you don't ever come up with anything new.

What inspires you?

Everything inspires me. Ever since I was a child I was just fascinated by the aesthetics of things. Paintings, Photographs, Cars, Planes, Advertisements, Tattoos, objects, Scenery, buildings...etc. I would see something and want to draw it.


Where do you see yourself in five years time?

I hope to still be illustrating but I also hope to be doing more with visual art. It's difficult to find a balance but I really want to be spending less time in front of a computer and more time creating other things.

What advice do you have for crafters/artists who want to do this full time?

My only advice would be to work hard at your craft. Practice, explore and practice some more- Let it take over your life!

Thanks Neil!!

Ali x

9 comments:

sassyglassdesigns said...

Great interview; his work is stunning - so crisp and clear.

neil jeffery said...

thanks so much for the feature Ali!

springcolors said...

lovely works. love to have this kind of tattoo

Crystal from KIZZ said...

Great feature Ali! His work is very cool. would love to do what he does...
Have a great day!

AMIdesigns said...

Nice interview! love the sushi

Magriet said...

Great work. Thanks for sharing Ali!

Pamela Zimmerman said...

very nice interview. Love the art!

JD By Laura said...

very interesting feature Ali, and stunning art work.

JD By Laura said...

grate feature Ali and love his art work