Monday, 4 May 2009

Do social networking sites work?

A lot of you seem to think that they do!! I had 75 votes on my poll: What Social Networking sites drive most business to your online shop?

Here are the results. Obviously with only 75 votes, it's hardly conclusive, but it does give a small indication of what sites may be most successful for you.

Twitter streaks ahead with 37% of the vote, with forums on Etsy, Dawanda, Artfire, Folksy etc taking second place at 27%.

I'm already on twitter and find it is great at driving views to my shop, as yet, I'm not so sure about sales! My worry with Twitter is the volume of spam on there. Every day I am 'unfollowing' people as I get sick of multiple direct feeds to their twitter. I guess the big warning for this one is yes, use it to publicise your shop, but don't make every one of your tweets a link to your shop!

I'm currently investing time on Facebook and with 19% of the vote, I think my time there may be well spent. I have been on Facebook for a number of years, but hadn't used it to publicise my jewellery as I was worried about spamming my friends. A fan page is a great option to get around this! You can create a page specifically for your shop and only people who sign up as fans will receive any activity from the page. Please drop by to check out my new fan page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Edinburgh-United-Kingdom/AliBaliJewellery/76230493358


I'm still developing this page, but expect to see some facebook exclusive special offers on there soon.

A number of you mentioned in your comments that you also use your blogs to publicise your shop and I'm certainly finding that my blog is driving more views and some sales. Some of your prefer more traditional marketing methods sch as leaflets, posters, business cards and word of mouth. I think what I'm taking from this is to maintain a good mix of methods and don't spend so much time publicising your work that you forget to do what you enjoy most - creating!!!


Finally, I was running a giveaway alongside this poll and I'm delighted to announce that Laura Cameron is the lucky winner of these earrings!! Well done Laura.

Ali x

11 comments:

maisy said...

ali, this was a great poll and post - thanks. lots to think about as lots of ideas here. wish i could manage my time better tho to keep up with it all properly and get more consistent results!

ali bali jewellery said...

I know how you feel, time management is a BIG issue!!

Wendy T. Gibson said...

Hi Ali, something that i have been noticing is that the only people in the real world who have heard of Artfire and Etsy are other artists. I wonder, do 'civilians' shop etsy and artfire or is it just other crafty types looking at our stuff? If so, twitter and fb are at least talking to my non-crafty contacts too and perhaps educating them....just something that i have started to think about...cheers, alibali, alibali,alibali,lol!

BeadyPool said...

Oh lucky Laura - well done.
All the best with the facebook page.

Laura Cameron said...

Really interesting to hear the feedback from your poll and yay, I've won! So very excited! Thank you kindly!

Nic said...

That is a really interesting post. I agree with you, twitter does drive traffic and I have had a couple of sales because of it but time is the big thing. I looked at my google analyticss stats this morning and while one of my sites in getting loads of views this month (misi), my other three are suffering.
Those earrings are lovely. Well done Laura

Silver Moss Jewellery said...

Congrats to laura on the earrings! And thanks for the summary of the poll. I've not got the hang of Twitter really so far but it's fascinating that, spam aside, it seems to be so helpful in marketing.

And, yes, I feel like I should allocate time to different sites and blogs and the like - and then just get back to the actual creating bit!

Mel P said...

Thanks Ali, this is really interesting. I have to say FB is great. These earrings are so pretty well done Laura xx

niftyknits said...

congrats Laura! Ali made me take an interest in twitter, and I've had one sale and an order as a direct result. I attended a virtual lab on etsy about twitter - the advice there was no more than 1 in 10 tweets should be an advert. Like Ali, I delete people daily who bore me rigid with their "look at me I've listed somethign" tweets.

Midnightcoiler said...

Interesting poll. I didn't realize Facebook was so friendly to businesses.

Florence Wang said...

This is a great post. I've been experiencing exactly the same thing. I've increased my site traffic and views to my shop using Twitter and the community forums but haven't seen any additional sales. I wonder if it's just people who also make things (rather than people who don't and like to buy handmade) checking out the site. I've also set up a Facebook page. But the time management element is such a big question.